Monday, December 31, 2012

Random Thoughts On The Last Day in 2012





            The kids and grandkids are gone.  The house is clean . . . and quiet.  Too quiet.  Bittersweet covers it perfectly.

            There is a beautiful, soft snow falling today cleaning up everything outside.


 
   
         December went by so fast.  All during the month I kept thinking about Psalm 61.  For the first time in my life, the TV news was so unbearably sad I wouldn’t watch it.  My mind kept going to Psalm 61:2 – “ . . . Lead me to the rock that is higher than I.” 

            I love how Edward Mote, the hymnwriter, put it.  “When all around my soul gives way, He then is all my hope and stay.”


            As I read everyone’s Christmas letters this month, it occurred to me that in four heartbeats I went from being the grandchild, to the child, to the parent, and now to the grandparent.  It made me think of Psalm 61:5, “You have given me the heritage of those who fear your name.”



            But mostly during December I kept thinking about Emanuel – God with us.  For some reason we only talk about that name at Christmas time, but it so clearly captures what God always intended.  We were created to have a personal relationship with Him.  God with us.

            That changes everything.  George Wade Robinson, another hymnwriter, said it so beautifully.

Heav’n above is softer blue, Earth around is sweeter green!
Something lives in every hue Christless eyes have never seen;
Birds with gladder songs o’erflow, flowers with deeper beauties shine,
Since I know, as now I know, I am His, and He is mine.


 Have a beautiful New Year.

1 comment:

  1. That's the Best Christmas Letter Ever. Makes me weep. But then I used to weep every year when I took down the tree, knowing the kids would never be that young again and someday they would be gone. Now they are and it's ok! Because they come with grandkids now, and it's kinda nice when they're gone too!

    ReplyDelete