Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Two Truths and a Lie


“Guys, we’re going to start by playing a game called ‘Two Truths and a Lie.” 

We had a new student join our room and I thought it would be fun to get to know each other by playing this game.   “I want you to think of two things you did last summer, only you’re going to try and trick us.  Think of a third thing you could say that you did that you really didn’t do.  We’re going to try and guess which two you did and which one is the lie.”

Our new student Dalton had played the game before and began smiling.  “I’ve got some good stuff to tell.  Can I go first?”

“Sure,” I said.  “Take it away.”

“I mowed the lawn and I cleaned my room, and I . . .”  Dalton paused.  He was stuck.  I figured he was trying to think of his lie.  It was almost funny how he couldn’t come up with a lie when he had to.  Finally, “And I went to Six Flags!”

Everyone goes to Six Flags at least once during the summer.  Dalton had now stumped me.  “Naomi, which thing do you think was Dalton’s lie?” I asked.

Naomi was staring at something two inches to the left of my ear. 

“Naomi!  What do you think Dalton is trying to trick us on?” I asked again.

Naomi finally shook off her dazed look and focused on me.  “Huh?”

“Naomi, were you listening to Dalton?”

“You want us to lie?” Naomi asked.

“Well, it’s not really a lie.  He’s going to try and make us believe something that’s not true,” I backpeddled.  “Dalton is trying to trick us and we’re going to see if we can figure out how he’s trying to fool us.”  I was working hard not to say “lie” anymore.  Trick, fool, what’s another word I can use I thought.

“Are you teaching us to lie this semester?”   Naomi’s mouth was open in astonishment.  “Teachers aren’t supposed to teach you to lie.”

“I didn’t go to Six Flags!” Dalton announced.

Oh Pooh!  I would have guessed he didn’t clean his room.

“You go next, Mrs. Jones,” Dalton pleaded.  “What did you do last summer?”

“Did you lie to anyone?” Naomi coyly asked.
           
One more fun idea that falls flat.  “Dalton this is Naomi.  Naomi, Dalton.  Let’s get to work,” I sighed.

No comments:

Post a Comment